What to do if GOV.UK Verify doesn’t work for you

Don't worry if you have not been able to have your identity verified through CitizenSafe, you will still be able to access government services through other ways.

To increase your chances of passing make sure you have done the following:

1. Make sure you provide details from all identity documents that you have:

You will require:

2. Make sure the information you supply is 100% accurate


Here are your options if we have been unable to verify your identity:


A list of the most common services you may need to access and their contact details.

Check or update your company car tax

Telephone: 0300 200 3300

Call HMRC for help with questions about Income Tax, including PAYE coding notices, Marriage Allowance and changing your personal details.


Do your Self assessment online

Email: helpdesk@ir-efile.gov.uk

Telephone: 0300 200 3600

Have your HMRC Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number with you when you call.


Claim rural payments

Email: ruralpayments@defra.gsi.gov.uk

Helpline: 03000 200 301


Claim for redundancy and monies owed

Email: redundancypaymentsonline@insolvency.gsi.gov.uk

Telephone: 0330 331 0020 (select option 2)


Claim a tax refund

Telephone: 0300 200 3300

Write to: HM Revenue and Customs,BX9 1AS

You’ll need: your National Insurance number, details of the jobs you had or State benefits you were getting at the time, and your P45, if you have one.


Help your friends or family with their tax

Telephone: 0300 200 3310

You must be in the same room as the person you’re helping. HMRC will confirm their identity and check that they’re happy for you to represent them. You must have their National Insurance number or tax reference number when you call.

Back to all posts
Go to top


You might like

Why CitizenSafe?

We're the identity people. We offer a simple, secure and ethical identity verification service that helps you gain access to online government services.

Learn more about CitizenSafe 

Stay tuned

Keep up to date with the latest news about CitizenSafe and GOV.UK by registering for our newsletter.