Claim monies owed from redundancy

Who picks up the bill when companies go bust, owing former employees thousands of pounds in unpaid wages, holidays or redundancy payouts? The good news is that the Government guarantees those payments, through its Insolvency Service. Now CitizenSafe can get you started on the journey to making a faster and easier online claim for the monies you are owed.


Using online government services to claim money owed by insolvent former employers

We’ve got good news and bad news, so where should we start? Let’s begin with the bad, which is that you’ve been made redundant - through no fault of your own. Your previous employer has been declared bankrupt or insolvent and now you’re trawling the job boards, looking for a new start.

The good news, however, is that you can get back any monies that your previous employer owed you in redundancy pay, unpaid wages or accumulated holidays from the Government’s Insolvency Service. And now you can reclaim it direct from your screen using online Government services.


Are you eligible to reclaim online?

 You can use this service if you can answer ‘Yes’ to ALL the following questions:

If you answered ‘No’ to any of the questions, you need to concentrate on getting that fixed and then come back to us when you’re ready. If you answered ‘Yes’ to everything then Hooray! You’re likely to find the next part much easier – and very useful.


How should you claim?

Step 1: Verify your identity with CitizenSafe

Before you can claim any monies owed from redundancy, you first need to verify your identity online with GOV.UK Verify and CitizenSafe. This is to ensure your privacy is being protected and that all your data is secure.

You’ll be asked to answer some questions by GOV.UK and then you’ll be prompted to select a certified company. Select CitizenSafe and then we’ll ask a few more questions that will allow us to validate your identity.

The good news is that once you’ve validated your identity with us once, you won’t have to do it again, so you’ll be free to use the full range of online government services. To get started, simply click the link below:

Sign up with GOV.UK Verify

Step 2: Gather essential documents

The whole process will go smoothly if you have all the right documents and references in front of you. So the first step is to make sure you have the following to hand:


Step 3: Make your claim online

Either follow the links through from the GOV.UK Verify sign up pages to the Redundancy Payments Service or follow the link below. The GOV.UK website will guide you through the process and you’ll have filed your claim in next to no time.


Help and contacts

If you need some help using the Redundancies Payments Service then don’t worry! There are some nice and knowledgeable people out there who will be very happy to answer any questions you may have. Just drop them an email at The Insolvency Service or give them a call using the number below:

Tel: 0330 331 0020 (select option 2)

Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

Back to all posts
Go to top


You might like

Why CitizenSafe?

We're the identity people. We offer a simple, secure and ethical identity verification service that helps you gain access to online government services.

Learn more about CitizenSafe 

Stay tuned

Keep up to date with the latest news about CitizenSafe and GOV.UK by registering for our newsletter.